Checksum Variable to reduce tampering

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Checksum Variable to reduce tampering

Post by JeckleMunopker on September 11th 2012, 5:05 pm

Bank File sample: (not really code)

<ItemCount int="30"/>
<Item15 string="FluxCapacitor">

Issue: Tamper protection

Notes: As many have noticed, inventories get corrupted frequently if you grind away at this game and sometimes backups of bank files are a big help (every time you prestige, for example) just in case you need to go back. As EternalToss may remember from today when i asked about his mod armor in a game, I have looked at my bank file and am, therefore, scum. Besides seeing most old items i had sold or dropped still in the list, I also saw the itemcount variable seemed simply to decrease when stuff was sold but the items stayed in the bank file, nonetheless. I figure this may be a cause of the messed up inventory, but this not the issue.

Suggestion:

<SecurityChecksum int="543211"/>

I like this custom and have logged many hours playing it so it is natural I would peruse the bank file to try and remedy an obvious issue but this creates another. The temptation to copy items is not reduced by the use of a checksum variable within to prevent tempering. It would be simple to add code that totals up the values of all items and "hackable" settings into a single integer (on save and exit) and saved within bank file. that way if someone changed the items or values within the file between games, the game would find the total differed from the variable on load and negate the file as tampered with.

Tried to match your form. EternalToss will remember who I am if you want to ban me from game within the code. Please don't.

JeckleMunopker
Baby Dragon
Baby Dragon

Back to top Go down

Re: Checksum Variable to reduce tampering

Post by EternalToss on September 11th 2012, 5:13 pm

no reason to ban imo, but anyway i also found out from all the fun times of fixing files is that for some reason old items remain in the code and dont get removed it could be part of the loading issue with items trying to load into the same spot.
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by JeckleMunopker on September 11th 2012, 5:25 pm

EternalToss wrote:it could be part of the loading issue with items trying to load into the same spot.

Yeah, I only mentioned cause it relates to the security issue. It is a simple data file to troubleshoot. However, some simple integer which must equal the total of several other values within the file will allow the coder to perform a simple check on dataload to make sure the bank file is the same as when it was saved by program.

JeckleMunopker
Baby Dragon
Baby Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on September 11th 2012, 5:35 pm

[quote="JeckleMunopker"][quote="EternalToss"]it could be part of the loading issue with items trying to load into the same spot.[/quote]

Yeah, I only mentioned cause it relates to the security issue. It is a simple data file to troubleshoot. However, some simple integer which must equal the total of several other values within the file will allow the coder to perform a simple check on dataload to make sure the bank file is the same as when it was saved by program.[/quote]

still it leaves the problem of bank files saving properly
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top