Bugs found in Dragon Quest RPG

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bugs found in Dragon Quest RPG

Post by EternalToss on October 31st 2012, 5:02 pm

Admin wrote:nevermind. Doesn't work because it doesn't even consider it as adding a new item when you buy an item that stacks.

if all else fails could you make potions no longer automatically stack so that you need to click a button/command to stack all of your current potions and have the process of gaining the potions record what you have and save it? would it work aslong as the items dont just go straight into a stack? or is it not even possible to have items that will stack but not do it automatically?
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DZ on October 31st 2012, 8:07 pm

Asked one of the blizz guys who hangs out in SC2mapster about being able to disable autostacking, he wasn't sure.... I'm almost positive this isn't an option though, as I've tried to do it before in the past. Unless of course you get into dialog based inventories, which is a whole other can of worms we really don't want to get into.

Anyways, a night or two ago I noticed a couple issues the combat system had, not sure if these already been brought up or not, but will say them anyways.

1. Noticed a lot of false positives happening, it would say I did 112 damage or whatever, but their health wouldn't drop.
2. Misses had a very amusing effect against shield using enemies, if I missed and my weapon currently did say 50 damage against a dark templar, he would mysteriously have 50 shields he didn't have before.

Regardless is cool you decided on a more RPG like hit/miss system, rather than damage - armor = damage done every time. I've been on the ropes about this for my project, could easily enable a lot of cool things using this. I'll have to use triggers to effectively make one of my classes leech properly as well (taking crits/buffs into account too), the reason I'm still on the ropes about it is a fear of lag related issues that could arise.

Anywho, do let me know if I can help any more about the potion saving issue. Pity our save/load algorithms are so different, I'd be happy to simply copy paste what I use in my project to resolve it if I could.

-DeadZergling
DZ

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on October 31st 2012, 9:42 pm

so it seems itll always end up messed? or take a long time to just figure out what is possible and to get it to work right.
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DZ on October 31st 2012, 11:07 pm

@EternalToss

No, it won't always end up messed up, take a look at the video link I posted earlier today, shows that it can be done. Is just a rather complicated mess to make it save and load right.
DZ

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on October 31st 2012, 11:19 pm

so basically option 2 of what i said lol
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathbringer on November 1st 2012, 11:22 am

Couple of questions. First did you just iterate through the entire inventory and save only the potions, or is there a way to detect a change I'm charge count for an item and than just save those?
Deathbringer
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DZ on November 1st 2012, 2:59 pm

@ Admin

Yes, I do iterate through my entire inventory every time to check charge counts (every 5 seconds of game time). Well, almost all of it, I do not iterate through my equipment area as a potion won't ever be in there.

I'm afraid there is no way around having to use some sort of periodic charge check event. It does a good job of noticing when you say click a potion to use it, or move a potion, or pick a new potion up you don't have any of. But it seems to ignore when you buy potions that get auto stacked or pick up a potion that autostacks.

Basically I have a trigger that watches for my autosave timer to go off, and part of that trigger iterates through my 80 item slots to see if any are a potion, and if so save the charge count for that particular slot. If not/no item is present leave the charge count alone as it won't matter anyways. Then save whatever the result might be to a string. You may want to approach this differently, I simply use a string to minimize space required.

Due to how my project works, I'm able to keep this in a string of length 80. I save all my data to big long strings in order to keep my banks small. I could probably make it a little more efficient if I really wanted to, but right now it saves about 100 inventory slots, stats, level, class, exp, mineral amount, ability counts/levels, keys to areas, and charge counts in about 1.4 or 1.5 kb of space. I'm not saying this to brag at all, simply to point out how efficient saving to strings can be since you mentioned earlier that space could be a potential issue here.

As stated earlier, you can't actually use triggers to know a charge count for an item, at least not directly. You have to look at charges used instead. So if you wanted you could grab charges used, then take the stack max and take that away from it. Then using that number on load/morph, just create X number of potions for the user. While this makes more sense mentally, it is actually really inefficient.

If you were to simply save charges used in the first place, you can recreate the potion count in this way(using pseudo trigger code here):

Method I use:

Create Potion X for player's inventory
Clear charges used for lastcreatedinventoryitem()
Move item to appropriate inventory slot (You don't have to do this, I just like players to come back to the exact same inventory).
.................................. all items loaded
Set Charges used for potionItems to chargesUsed that was saved.

Now I know it would seem simpler to use this instead:

Create Potion X for player's inventory
Set Charges used for potionItems to chargesUsed for lastcreatedinventoryitem()

And it will work perfectly, unless the user say has 2 stacks of the same type of potion. Half the time it will work, other half one stack will mysteriously become just 1 potion.

Now the other method you could use would be using the charge count, this would take a little more effort to save to the bank, but the loading is much simpler, albeit long winded...

Different Method:

int i = 0;
while(i < chargeCount) //Yes I could have used a for loop here, but they too loopy for me in the editor.
{
Create Potion X for player;
i += 1;
}

Simple yes, but you could potentially be creating like 400-500 units here for a potion hoarder, way more computing/processing need. If you've ever used the cheat makeunit zergling 500, you know what kind of lag this can cause.

So while the latter method makes more sense, the former is a lot more optimized. Sorry to keep leaving such long exhaustive posts on you, I just get on a tangent, lol.

@EternalToss

yea pretty much, there I go half reading sentences again, lol.
DZ

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on November 1st 2012, 3:13 pm

through this whole thing i dont think you ever even mentioned what game you ARE making lol... so what is it >=) i feel interested cuz all of this for just one thing lol and i want to try your game now and see what its like alpha or beta idc
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DZ on November 1st 2012, 3:43 pm

@EternalToss

Oh, well wasn't trying to steal any thunder from this site mostly, I just mentioned I have been working on it to say I do in fact have a clue what I'm talking about, lol. You can locate me on the the sc2mapster.com site, just look for DeadZergling, then click on horologium RPG. I'm only doing private alpha testing when I feel there is a need at this time, still a lot to work to be done for me.

sc2mapster.com/maps/horologium-rpg/ is the direct link to the project as well, minus the parts they won't let me post here as a guest. I left a few videos on there, they aren't exactly masterfully made, but can give you more of an idea of what it looks like.
DZ

Back to top Go down

Post by DZ on November 1st 2012, 9:42 pm

@EternalToss

By the way, if you are that interested in playing the map, I'm curious about your time availability. I don't do alpha testing often, but could use another tester if you are interested.
DZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathbringer on November 1st 2012, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the help. I look forward to playing your game eventually. Thank you.
Deathbringer
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathbringer on November 1st 2012, 11:20 pm

Oh, and don't worry about stealing my thunder. I have had a year to enjoy being the best unopposed. A little competition is good for both the players and the creators.
Deathbringer
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Greed on November 1st 2012, 11:20 pm

What about me??? I wouldn't mind being an alpha tester. Just because i don't post doesn't mean i don't read forums Smile

I don't really post on forums unless i feel my input is needed or i have something to say.
Greed
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on November 2nd 2012, 3:05 pm

Lol so me and greed would like to test i live in EST time zone (Canada) and i can get on usually after 4 on weekdays if im not busy weekends is really whenever lol but i would like to test it. I usually give advice for custom games i play anyway just to see if they take any advice and make it better. So if you release it ill play.

just a note greed is like 14-16 hours ahead of me
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DZ on November 2nd 2012, 3:15 pm

@EternalToss and Greed

So could definitely use more testers, main issue is finding time slots when it would work. Would be helpful to know if you are on the US server, what days/times you got available, what your respective time zones are (mine being PST), that sort of thing. I can be contacted either on sc2mapster as DeadZergling or at Deadzergling At Hotmail.com .

Be cool if I could get both of you in the game at once. Was thinking, 4 pm PST Saturday(me), 7 pm EST Saturday(EternalToss), and UTC/GMT EDC (whatever australia time is called) 10 am Sunday(Greed) might be an ideal time for us all to be on. Guess it'd be useful to mention I'm Deadzergling Bnet Code 596 on there too.
DZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Greed on November 2nd 2012, 3:34 pm

Timezone is GMT + 10.

If you made an account i think it would be good. You can see chatbox then. Easier to talk there.
Greed
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on November 2nd 2012, 3:36 pm

uhm okay i should be able to get on around then i believe if i remember but i guess we cant forget marine hes also EST but could you make a account on the forums?
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on November 2nd 2012, 3:39 pm

lol we were both posting at the same time, but yea make a account on the forums it would be easier and no 1 else can copy your name then also ill add u on sc2 and we shall see wut ur game is like, also if you ever need some Admins you know where to go to ^.^ but i can really only speak for myself (it cant be too hard to do only 2 forums)
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Finally made an account

Post by DeadZergling on November 2nd 2012, 3:46 pm

I imagine you won't be surprised by the name, DeadZergling. Anyways, my project is currently on bnet, but only available for private games I create at the moment. Who is marine, by the way?

DeadZergling
Baby Dragon
Baby Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Greed on November 2nd 2012, 3:48 pm

MarineEmpire
Greed
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on November 2nd 2012, 3:55 pm

the newest admin for the site
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DZ on November 2nd 2012, 4:02 pm

DZ

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalToss on November 3rd 2012, 10:27 pm

dam hero i played it id say you got some very unbalanced competition atm, not balanced at all, but good.
EternalToss
Dragon Administrator
Dragon Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadZergling on November 3rd 2012, 11:53 pm

Lol, well I did warn you it is barely an alpha didn't I? Anyways did enable the commands you wanted, besides the teleport one, may be laggier than it is worth.

DeadZergling
Baby Dragon
Baby Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadZergling on December 5th 2012, 4:11 am

So decided to go through the updated version today, saw a few things that shouldn't be happening:

1. I started the game w/ 4700ish grand haste potions and 4600ish large haste potions, bringing my haste potion level over 9000! Health potion count was 1 or 2k as well.
2. Speaking of potions, I like that you removed the recast time on haste potions, but it was also allowing me to use 2 haste potions at once for this reason.
3. Forcing people to watch the cinematic at end won't make many happy.
4. Cool that the boss now uses spells, unfortunately they do no damage.
5. Archons still have overlord death animation.
6. Overlords no longer invis, is this intentional?
7. May want to make the cinematic units untargettable/unselectable at the opening. Some temple guard deaths would be nice too.
8. Seeing multiple quest objectives at once would be nice, I realize this is a lot more work, but would make the experience feel smoother.
9. Do all humans in Dragon Quest RPG eat at McDonalds? Just seriously, they are HUGE. I understand wanting them to be easily visible, but must be a better way than supersizing them. Structures near them maybe?

Anyways, nice to see you finally putting some story in, back to hacking away at my own project.

DeadZergling
Baby Dragon
Baby Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top